Saturday, September 12, 2009

"Jumpin Jalopy" Revised

If you've already read this post and are now looking at it again, you will see that there is a slight change in the title. I'm fairly sure the title is "Jumpin Jalopy" - singular / not plural. Regardless of whether the word should be singular or plural though, I have never forgotten the song.

The church I attended for a significant portion of my life as I was growing up was a very large church - at least it seemed large to me. It would not qualify as a "mega" church by today's standards, but it was big.

The church had a lot of rooms, especially after they added on to the back of it. Most of these rooms were used for Sunday school classrooms (at least that is my recollection), and in a lot of these rooms were upright pianos. I always loved the piano even though I had never taken lessons and could not play. I could "pick out" songs by reading notes though, which I had learned to do through band/clarinet lessons, but I could not play for anyone's enjoyment. The only thing I could play at a moment's notice was "I Dropped My Dolly in the Dirt."

Since we (my friends and I) were at church frequently - Sunday school, Training Union, GAs, choir practice, visitation and Wednesday night dinners followed by an evening service, we were often in one or the other of the rooms by ourselves. Several (most?) of my friends could play the piano and often played a piece by the same name as the title of this post. I really liked that song; it was very upbeat/lively. It made me feel good just to hear it.

I have probably not heard that song since my senior year of high school (maybe even before that), and I do not recall any piano playing sessions in college. I still remember the song though and can "play" it in my head. Maybe, if I am fortunate, I will get to hear it next summer if a piano is available and if one of the girls - Deanna, Sharon, or June - remembers how to play it. I hope they remember, and I hope I get to hear it once again.

Blessings to all.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. Most of the time I can relate to memories that you mention. I have no memory at all of a song called Jumpin Jalopy, if I ever heard it.

    ReplyDelete